MINI COOPER BACKING PLATE KIT INSTALLATION
The N.E.R.P. Aluminum brake backing plate and associated components are specifically designed for your vehicle. The backing plate has been designed to fit without any modifications to it. The inlet scoop is intended to be mounted to the lower control arm and connected to the backing plate by a 500°F duct hose. All components have been designed to work efficiently together to maximize the cooling capability of the total unit. Now let's get started.
If you purchased the complete kit you should have the following components:
2 - ABS Intake scoops
2 - Sections of 500°F Silicone Hose
2 - Black Anodized Aluminum backing plates
4 - 2 1/2"hose clamps
2 – 6mm X 16mm Flat head screw.
8 - 50# Black Nylon Tie wraps
- Properly lift and support the front end of the car, and remove the wheels.
- Remove the brake calipers by removing the two bolts that secure the calipers to the strut and support them in a way not to damage the brake lines.
- Remove the rotor retaining screw (Flat Head) and remove rotor from hub.
- The new backing plate can now be installed on the spindle by using (3) of the original Torx style screws, and (1) flat head style screw provided in the kit. When satisfied with the fit, the bolts can then be tightened to factory specs.
- Install the scoop on the underneath side of the lower control arm (located as far inboard as possible) and secure it (loosely) with the supplied tie wraps. One method is to position the scoop on the underneath of the control arm and loosely secure it with the supplied tie wraps.
- Install the hose between the scoop and the backing plate securing at both ends with the supplied hose clamps. Attach hose to the backing plate first.
- Place the rotor back onto the hub.
- Re-mount the brake calipers and tighten the bolts to factory specifications.
- With the car still up on the jack stands, rotate the steering back and forth to check for interference with the wheel rim. Some rubbing may occur at full wheel lock. The scoop will wear away if needed. If all checks fine, then re-attach the road wheels, and torque lugs. Finish tightening the tie wraps checking clearance with the tire and rim.
- For off track use the hose and scoop should be removed as an assembly, detaching from the backing plate and lower control arm. Reverse this procedure for re-attachment.
All merchandise is guaranteed to be free from defects in material and workmanship. Any item that has been found to be defective will be replaced without charge due to defective material or workmanship. All warranty claims must include the original invoice number.
N.E.R.P. LLC. Does not warrant the legality of this product or that it complies with local, state, or federal regulations, nor does N.E.R.P. LLC recommend illegal modifications. Due to vehicle regulations varying from state to state, it is recommended you check local laws and regulations for your area before ordering. Our liability is limited to replacement of the part only and does not recognize claims for labor or consequential damage. We do recommend the kit to be installed by a qualified mechanic. The preceding pictures are for reference only, your vehicle may be different.